Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bear Den Meeting: Building Muscles/What's Cooking


Sorry there is no original image for this entry, though clip art does look better than my photos.  What I have to write is not even geeky (OK maybe it is, who am I to judge?) but it is probably my most important discovery as a scout leader.

When determining what achievements we would cover this year I thought my den would like the two-person contests (which are sort of like wrestling) from Bear achievement 16.  You are supposed to do six of them and I labeled the ones that I thought would be safest and crossed out the ones where I thought it could get too violent (a foot in the face, someone thrown to the floor...just look at the handbook and imagine the WPO).

For whatever reason I decided to do Requirement 9g: cook something outdoors on the same night.  Fire and wrestling--what could go wrong?

Despite my worries this turned out to be a very successful meeting.  This sounds kind of drastic but I determined that the boys will get more out of it if there is some risk involved.  They are going to have more fun, try harder, and even be more careful if there is the possibility of injury, mess, or damage. 

In contrast, last year as a new den leader with 5 Wolves I thought we would have a nice meeting about the American flag.  I did a bunch of research and had a lot of interesting facts to share about our flag which I won't include here because that meeting had more injuries and tears than any other!  The boys were so bored and restless that their behavior was abominable.   It made me change my den meeting structure for the rest of the year (which will hopefully be in a future post) and caused me to fear doing the one on one tests of strength a year later.

Naturally you need to stay within the safe scouting guidelines! However sometimes there is an activity that is recommended for the age group you are leading but you are worried it might still be too risky.  In that case maybe you should try it anyway.  Your scouts might thank you.  Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment