Friday, March 28, 2014

PWD!


It is that special time of year again, pinewood derby time.  Not my favorite event, but who can argue with tradition?  Last year I sort of helped with the trophies.  They were based on the ones you have probably seen online, a wedge shaped block (ours were more of a rectangular block stood on end with a slanted top) with a toy race car spray painted gold on top.  The name of the award and the year were typed and printed and decpoupaged on.  They looked great but required a lot of sawing and sanding.

This year I did tons of internet research (read procrastinating cleaning the house) hoping to find something slightly easier that would also appeal to the boys.  I found these snazzy 5x7" shield plaques at JoAnn Fabric.  I woodburned the writing and another leader painted the cars left over from last year.  I stained them with some Ipswich pine Minwax I had on hand, and added sawtooth picture hangers on the back, and an adhesive bumper at the bottom of each on back. Oh, and they also needed some sanding first to smooth them out.

There are six total: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fastest which will be based on the race results, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd best design based on scouts' votes.

My son really wanted to male a creeper car.  I told him it would not be the fastest and probably wouldn't even get best design, but at least he would have a cool looking car that he would like. He was OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment